[QODBC-ALL] How to use MS Access as Middleware with QODBC
Posted by Rajendra Dewani (QODBC Support) on 01 May 2014 12:20 PM
How to use MS Access as Middleware with QODBC
Any errors related to the driver and custom software or packaged software that does not work properly with QODBC.Example, Prepared Statements in JDBCODBCDriver.
Few of the features of ODBC are not supported on QODBC; what is the workaround?
You are using a function/feature which is not supported by the QODBC driver, or maybe it's not a standard ODBC call. To overcome the issue, you can use MS-Access as middleware, i.e. Create linked tables in MS-Access, create a DSN of your ms access database, connect your application to MS-Access DSN.
Your application will connect to MS-Access; MS-Access has a linked table connecting to QRemote or QODBC.
First, you need to create the linked table in MS Access. Please refer to the mentioned article for creating the linked table in MS Access.
Assuming you have created an MS Access file and have created linked tables.
Let us create an MS Access DSN that will point to the Access database file which we had created in the above steps. Please follow the below steps for creating MS Access DSN.
2) Choose "Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)" & click on "Finish" button.
3) Enter DSN name & description & click on select.
4) Provide MS Access database file location, which we created earlier & click on "OK".
5) Click on "OK" to save DSN.
6) Newly created DSN is available in the DSN list.
7) Now, we will use this DSN as a Middleware. We will test this DSN with our QODBC Test Tool application. Please open QODBC Test Tool from:
8) Please select newly created DSN from the dropdown list & click on "Connect".
9) You can see we are able to connect to MS Access DSN from QODBC Test Tool. Please write your SQL statement & click on "Run".
You can see we are able to fetch data with MS Access DSN from QODBC Test Tool.
For 64-bit : Start>>All Programs>> QODBC Driver for use with QuickBooks>> Configure QODBC Data Source 64-bit>>Go To "System DSN" Tab>>Click on "Add"