QuickBooks SDK 4.0 for U.S. Editions of QuickBooks 2005
QuickBooks SDK 4.0 Feature List
QuickBooks SDK 4.0 includes a number of new features requested by IDN member developers. Of course, SDK 4.0 also supports all parts of our previous versions of the QuickBooks SDK, so software built using SDK 3.0 can be easily migrated to SDK 4.0.
QuickBooks SDK 4.0 can be used to develop software that integrates with a long list of QuickBooks Financial Software products. Features new to SDK 4.0 can be used with U.S. editions of QuickBooks 2005 and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 5.0 and/or with QuickBooks Online Edition.
New Features Applicable to Multiple Types of Lists or Transactions:
- Ability to limit response data returned from Add, Modify, and Query operations to specified field(s) or aggregates. This could eliminate time spent handling unwanted data and decrease memory requirements. (additional info available here and here)
- Ability to get an approximate count of items returned in response to a query, with or without the returned objects.
- A new generic transaction query that returns data common to all transaction types, such as TxnID, style, time created, time modified, ListID, account referenced, etc. (The SDK equivalent of QuickBooks' "Advanced Find" function.)(additional info available)
- Significant performance improvements for single RefNumber transaction queries, speeding searches for specific transactions.
Accounts Payable Transactions (additional info available)
- Ability to add and modify Item Receipts.
- Ability to create a bill or an Item Receipt from a Purchase Order.
- Ability to link lines in new Bills or Item Receipts with lines in Purchase Orders.
Additional Data Integration
- Ability to add, modify, query, and delete Price Levels, which will be used by default in sales transactions added by the SDK unless a specific rate is supplied in a line item. (additional info available)
- Ability to use a "PaidStatus" filter with the ChargeQuery request.
Events and User Interface Integration
- Ability to specify that an application does not receive subscribed-to events generated by itself.
- The ability for UI Extension events to contain context data from the current QuickBooks form.
- Ability to use ListDisplayAdd/Mod requests to display Account and Item forms in QuickBooks.
- Ability to pre-fill specific data in TxnDisplayAdd requests, enabling an application to have QuickBooks enter a particular customer, vendor, etc., when opening a new transaction form.
- Ability to launch QuickBooks in the foreground (i.e., showing its User Interface) with a specific company file.
- Ability to filter transactions based on pay status (which enables applications to find which transactions are payable for a given customer).
Enhancements to the Integrated Application Approval Process (additional info available)
- Allow an application to request read-only access to a QuickBooks company file and notify the user that the application will only have read access to the data.
- Allow the user to set up unattended mode as part of the authorization dialog.
- Allow an application to require access to personal data during the application authorization process to avoid user errors.
QuickBooks Online Edition (QBOE)
For additional details on QBSDK 4.0 (including changes between QBSDK 3.0 and 4.0), see the QBSDK 4.0 Release Notes.
Next: Read about the features introduced with SDK version 3.0.